Friday, February 24, 2012

"WHAT MORE HAVE I TO SEE THAT I'VE SEEN ALREADY?" - SANCHO

I got a freelance assignment yesterday to write [some bullshit] for [someone I don't want to reveal because at least they were nice to me]. It was nice and easy payday. I felt energized and eager to dive into it. I had reference books on the table. Like everything I write, I wished deep down for it to be the "the most beautiful, the liveliest and the cleverest imaginable." While I began punching the keys in my room alone, I was as if a being of singular virtue, focus and drive.

When my girlfriend came home, I became Don again. I told her about the assignment.

"But why would somebody need another [some bullshit]," she asked.
"Well, it's like when you're starting a new journal or website or something..."
"You don't know what it's for, right?" she said.
"I didn't ask." She rolled her eyes. "Anyway, when you start something like that sometimes you want to include a [some bullshit]. But you need to generate original content. You can't just copy/paste from Wikipedia or some book"
"But that's all you're going to do," she said.
"No. I'm going to read all that stuff and write it in my own words and... stuff."
"Yeah, OK," she said.

My productivity was shot for the rest of the night. I woke up this morning with the intention of getting an early start and powering through this [some bullshit] copy with time to spare. I wrote for about two hours through frequent interruptions and my ego replayed yesterday's conversation for about a dozen encores (this one goes out to the true fans!) until the thought of [some bullshit] made my mouth taste like throw up. I ate lunch. Then I quit.

You're right, Girlfriend, the world probably doesn't need another hack [some bullshit]. I thought I wanted that $80 bad enough, but I guess I want your respect a little bit more.

And that sucks.


Tunes Tonight:

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry baby, I wasn't trying to bring your work down. I love your writing, even when it's just about [some bullshit].

    ReplyDelete