Friday, February 3, 2012

WAR WATCH

Ask my friends to agree on just how to take Newser*. I dare you.

*Newser, from journalist and Rupert Murdoch biographer Michael Wolffe, meets the expectations and attention spans of the casual consumer of online news by doing away with most that pesky text. "La-la-la, reading's for fags." Newser serves you headlines on the main page as a sort of photo-menu. Clicking a photo takes you to a one-or-two-paragraph summary of a fresh story along with links to the full story (wherever it was earnestly reported). Money in the bank.Whatever. I think it means well. 

I'm not sure what I hope to accomplish here. But I think can best be explored by my initial reaction to checking Newser this morning: "God, what if every story about Iran sounds like a predetermined lead-up to war and we actually end up in a fucking Iran War this year?" I've been thinking it for months. So now Newser is on watch--twice-daily screenshots until wars breaks out, the year ends, I get bored, or I forget.



(Headlines: "US Fears Israel Will Hit Iran Without Warning;" "US: Iran May Be Cozying Up to al-Qaeda")



Tunes this morning: "Elysium" by Portishead; "Still Blazin'" by Wiz Khalifa

1 comment: