Saturday, August 27, 2011

IN THE PAST WOMEN WERE WARRIORS AND MEN CRIED ABOUT THEIR FATHERS

This is a photograph of a famous cave-painting from Lascaux, France. It was painted by a cro-magnon 16,000 years ago.


Looking at this painting, particularly the line work around the hooves, I am moved by the particular choices that the artist made. It strikes me that he was not merely portraying something that he'd seen, he was dreaming of it. I can't help but to think of the artist--sensitive to the point of frailty, long stone-trimmed bangs swept to the side--and what concerns may have weighed on his shoulders. Did his father regard it as a waste of time? It could have been graffiti--cave paintings tend to be found in the least accessible of areas.

Did the artist have to paint in secret?

*****
On an (un?)related note, I'm beginning to regret the loss of my innocence--which is to say that I regret that I do not have it to lose again, violently and repeatedly, until the end of time.

Tunes tonight: Kanye West vs. The Notorious B.I.G. - Suicidal Thoughts Runaway (White Lotus Mashup) by Hypetrak  

No comments:

Post a Comment