Sunday, August 28, 2011

MY FAVORITE THING ABOUT THE LAST POST WAS THE TITLE

I found a pair of binoculars tonight and sat out on the porch to look at the moon and stars. When I was a child, I used to on a small telescope. I don't know what happened to it--whether it was sold in a garage sale or stuffed into one attic after another every time we moved. My dad set it up and tried to sit with me once so we could conquer the universe as a dynasty. We were much closer then. I found the optics too involved and after a few days just carried around the finderscope through the backyard for its decidedly simpler use as a--help me out here--"monocular"? It lent verisimilitude to playing pirate captain anyway.

That's the bourgeois childhood for you: Dad buys your admission into an obscure interest just to try out, spends a few hours telling Mom "maybe he'll grow up to be an astronomer," even though you don't like math, and the next week he's buying you a soccer ball, a chemistry set or a calligraphy pen. 15 years later you can't find any of it at playtime.

*****

Mom and Dad took good care of me as a child. Girlfriend and Como-Friends take pretty good care of me now. I miss them, so I drew a picture for their fridges. Can't wait to see you guys next week.

(all heights and hairstyles approximate)

Tunes tonight: Father, Son, Holy Ghost (leaked) by Girls

4 comments:

  1. I love your little drawing, and your new habit of writing here everyday. Keep it up, I will be subscribing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like this drawing. will try to find magnets for fridge display.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick's personage is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wee Liz is my favorite. She looks so spooky, but then... doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete