Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Silent Date

A girl asked if I was using the other seat at my table and when I motioned "No" she sat down.That never happens to me. She was younger, thin, bronzed by Mediterranean generations, thin-faced but with open eyes with heavy lashes like black-silk palm branches and lips like red pool furniture. An interesting collection of parts that neither disappointed nor excited me.

we shared the table for two hours without contact
neither of us dropped anything for the other to pick up
neither of us sneezed to receive the other's blessing
neither of us peeked up at just the time to catch the other peeking back
a song came over the speakers haphazardly loud
and we both looked up, recriminating stares, to the barista until she turned it down
but we did not wink to each other to share in the job well done
we did not voice a recognition that we made a good team

It was a safe, silent date, complete with invisible flowers and zero promises we couldn't keep. Give me a billion dollars and I will make the one safe space on Earth

a white room where nothing goes unseen
and padded walls and no gravity
and it would need to have no doors of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment