Wednesday, September 14, 2011

HERE, EACH ZERO IS A CAPITAL "OH!"

Today, I stepped on the tail of my girlfriend's cat. He did not cry. He did not seem to mind. He listened to the rain outside and, when he was ready to talk, purred out the morning's feelings. With that, he seemed well-satisfied.

Genesis of a sentence:
I used to say that good days start with me already awake minutes before my alarm, but I have not attempted an all-nighter since I drove through Nebraska and my alarm is still set for 3:OOPM from my Texas writing schedule. The first sentence of my new short story: "Good days start with James already awake when his alarm goes off, downstairs and cooking breakfast by 3:OOPM."

As you can see, it is hard to write from St. Peters, Missouri. The suburbs have always made me profoundly uncomfortable.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what's going on in the first graf, but whatever it is, I love it.

    ReplyDelete